Unfortunately, we too often fail to take the safety of our garage seriously even though it is one of the most dangerous places in our home. Not only do garages serve as storage spots for our vehicles, they serve as a place to hang out for our kids, and so has to be kept safe at all times. Your garage door is the most dangerous component of your garage has to be safely secured.
Most people can certainly carry out basic safety and routine maintenance responsibilities. To begin with, do a regular monthly visual examination. Stand in the garage with the door shut and check across the springs, pulleys, rollers, and cables. Also, inspect hinges, for signs and symptoms of wear or damage. Search for cable fraying. Are the installation components getting loose? Check nuts, bolts, and screws to make sure they are tight. If something does not look right or does not sound right, it could be a sign of something more serious. Has your complete system checked by a skilled specialist like the guys at ColumbusGarageDoorPros.com.
To help you avoid unnecessary expenses or potential injuries, here are 5 easy steps to keep your garage door well maintained.
5 Steps To Maintain A Working Garage Door
1. Ever try to keep the garage door as clean as practicable. Sort through the items in your garage and have them stored up in shelves or cabinets. Anything that shouldn’t be in there, should be removed. To minimize the chances of a trip fall, ensure no item is kept on the floor.
2. Eliminate all fire hazards. Lots of fire accidents start from the garage. The main reason is your gas and oil containers that you store in there. removing all inflammable garage door components away from electricity, and then installing fireproof garage roofs can help reduce fire hazards and likely save your property.
3. Monthly balance tests should also be done. If your door comes with an automatic opener system, shut the door, disengage the automated operator and raise the door manually. It must open easily with a little amount of resistance and must stay completely in the open position. If it is challenging to open or does not stay open position, the door could possibly be out of balance and should be adjusted using a qualified service professional.
4. Semi-annual lubrication of moving components is essential to guarantee it is working correctly without binding or unneeded wear. Use lightweight oil for all hinges and rollers at least twice annually. You will find end hinges, which retain the rollers inside the track, and center hinges, which pivot when the door opens and closes. Lubricate all rocker part of hinges.
Don’t let your kids keep their toys or other belongings in a garage. Doing this ensures they have nothing to do in there, thus guaranteeing their safety.
5. Install proper monitoring devices in your garage door. where anything goes amiss, you can always be notified. To safeguard against unexpected situations, install security detectors such as smoke and also heat detectors on your garage.
Other odd tasks
Some other little jobs such as changing the door batteries of your garage door remote controller, moving the opener around the wall if is wired and the weather stripping at the base of the garage door checked during servicing the garage doors.